Thursday, October 4, 2007

and in losing....

Rick has a girlfriend. It is serious. Hopefully not serious in a controlling way, but serious in a joyful way. The girlfriend is a bakefiend and freshly minted lawyer--I enjoyed her company when I met her this summer, before she became the girlfriend.

The test regarding control will come soon. My last grandmother passed away this week. While that seems non sequitor, it is not. Rick and I founded our friendship on something I dub "Maudlin Friday." We drink, we discuss topics of sadness and loss, we snuggle, and we sleep--in separate spaces. It is a party of two, by two, for two--no other parties need apply. It is as close to a therapist's office as he or I will go....

I do not know how soon I will make it down for a Maudlin Friday, but the need is there. The other thing I do not know is how Bakefiend Lawyer will take my request to have him all to myself. The request will be issued via Rick, naturally. Push comes to shove, she will win.

The question: will she consider my request an attempt to shove her out and keep part of him all to myself? She is no fool: I would never try to keep a secret from her. But this is a question of boundaries--it will be interesting to see where the lines are drawn. Especially the lines drawn by Rick....

No comments: